Thursday, December 27, 2007

Dec 17th 2006, Sunday: 151 days to go...

Strange but... we actually had fun today. The commandos had a mission in the morning. The political Party of PKK has arrived to Adana for a meeting, so the commandos had to go and make sure nothing nasty happens. First, they got ready on the field in front of our building. Then, the commander took 20 of us and gave us sticks and stones made out of paper & tape. So the 20 people attacked the commandos screaming and shouting. The commandos tried to stop them using shield and bayonets, they almost got their ass kicked. We were at the back, cheering for the angry mob. It was hilarious.

After the commander came to us and asked if it reminds us our college days. Funny, cause university people are known to cause trouble to police.

The commander was the one everyone was afraid of. I don’t wanna give name so from now on I’ll refer to him as “Tough C”, C is for commander.

Touch C was known as a crazy sergeant-major. He has been to east and actually fought against PKK terrorists and shot many of them. I mean MANY. New soldiers like us were really scared of him cause he’s gone CRAZY. We saw him working the shit out of his team, shouting and constantly tiring them, cussing and swearing all the time, although all his soldiers like him alot. We kinda understand why the privates like him. He’s crazy but he’s a real soldier and he really cares about army and defending the country.

He came to our group and started talking. We were shocked because he was talking quite softly. And he was saying meaningful things unlike many other commanders. Soon later every “short term” soldier gathered around him and started listening to him. I realised most of his thoughts about the government, the military, life, were all like mine. My favorite part was that he hates the captain just like we do.

He also said how girls eventually choose and get married with dickheads. That made me go back to my civilian days. The truth is that I’m in love with a girl for 4-5 years. She was in the same school with me, but a different faculty, so I could rarely see her. It took 2 years before I could make a move on her. I had gathered my courage and told her that I want her to know about me. I didn’t know her name until then. So how could I know she had a boyfriend?

And why I didn’t give up on her? Why would I? All I wanted from her was to see her, and talk to her every once in a while, so I don’t need to be her boyfriend for that. She’s so... so different. She’s nothing like I’ve ever seen before. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you girls are not pretty, but you’re all human. She’s something else. I don’t know if she was created by the same God, and I don’t know why God wanted to create something like that. She’s a sun, illuminating the surrounding wherever she wanders, warming the people who looks at her, burning everyone who looks directly in her eyes... there’s no way I can forget about those eyes, even though I hadn’t seen her for almost 2 years. You know, I wanted only one thing before going to the military, to see her once again. To look into those eyes, which give me strength to put up with the shit of life, to remind me that this shitty world is a beautiful place, because she’s a part of it. And my wish came true. I miraculously saw her while going to a Japanese class. She was with her boyfriend in his car. You know, when she saw me she remembered me, and turned behind to see me again as the car went away. I know, she was still with her boyfriend, but why should I care? What would be different if she was single? I got nothing to give her anyway. I heard her boyfriend is son of a rich man, he takes her from home to school everyday, I’m sure he gives much more to her. What can I give? I’m a new graduate who doesn’t even have a job yet.

Ahh sorry, didn’t mean to depress you. I just wanted to share this with you. On the first days of military, when things were unbearable, when I was sleeping in a bed a thousand km’s away from home, I’d think about her eyes, her face, and it would give me strength to go on. It brings warm happiness to my heart. I just hope she will be happy with her life. I will wait until I find someone like her, because that’s the only way I can forget about her.

Anyway let me cheer you up a little. I told you before there are no spoons or forks in the cafeteria to eat food with. But there are steel waterglasses to bring water from bathroom. Today there was pea and spaghetti for meal, I worked my brain and used the waterglass as a spoon. It was hilarious and my friends were laughing on the floor (just like me), but it did work.

(20:18)

Right now I’m in my bed trying to write something but my friends are talking all around me, all of them with different accents. I didn’t know there were so many different accents in Turkey. We’re actually having fun. I had to stop a few times cause I couldn’t stop laughing.

I found many people to talk today about various things. I found another aikidoka and talked and discussed all day about aikido. I found a guy who loves “Prison Break” just like I do, so I told him what’s going on on the second season. It’s late, gotta sleep now...

No comments: